This policy discloses the privacy practices for American Councils: Higher Education Programs by American Councils for International Education (American Councils) on the website https://fep.americancouncils.org
- What personal data is collected from you through American Councils: Higher Education Programs, how it is used, and with whom it might be shared
- What choices are available to you regarding the collection and use of your personal data
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your personal data
- How you can view the personal data we have collected from you and how you can correct any inaccuracies in that information
What Personal Data Do We Collect?
We collect personal data from you when you register with American Councils: Higher Education Programs and when you enter information to program application and other forms on the American Councils: Higher Education Programs websites.
Registering to Use American Councils: Higher Education Programs
You may anonymously browse some limited information available on the American Councils: Higher Education Programs' login pages. American Councils: Higher Education Programs login account registration is required, however, to view, complete, and submit online forms for the purpose of voluntarily applying or registering for programs and other activities. During registration you are required to give us personal data that includes your name and email address, and to designate your American Councils: Higher Education Programs login username and password. Registration helps us to ensure the security and privacy of the information that you choose to share with us through our online forms. You should not share your American Councils: Higher Education Programs login username or password with anyone. We will not ask you for your password.
Using Online Forms
When you complete and submit online forms via American Councils: Higher Education Programs, you will be asked to share some personal data with us, which may include your:
- date of birth
- home address
- email addresses
- telephone numbers
- countries of citizenship
- country of birth
- educational history
- resume or CV
- personal statement
- prior participation in American Councils' programs
- passport number
- other information you choose to provide us
We might also ask for personal data of your emergency contacts, and recommenders. This can include their names, genders, home addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, and other information.
You may choose not to submit your personal data to us via American Councils: Higher Education Programs. Doing so, however, may prevent us from fulfilling your request or providing certain services. For example, not providing required information such as your name can prevent the processing of a program application.
Direct, necessary, session cookies used by American Councils: Higher Education Programs
We use direct cookies that are necessary for the operation of our website and to analyze our traffic. We do not store any personal data in cookies. All direct cookies expire after you log out of your session.
We may combine personal data that you provide to us with other information that is publicly available or that we receive from other sources, such as grade transcripts.
In some situations, we are required to collect your personal data for legal compliance purposes, such as for compliance with immigration laws in order to obtain a visa.
How Do We Use Personal Data?
It is our practice not to ask you for personal data unless we need it or intend to use it. We use the information you choose to share with us through our American Councils: Higher Education Programs to manage your application or registration process, as well as your program and alumni activities participation. These processes can include:
- Evaluating your program application or registration materials
- Sending you program preparation materials
- Obtaining a visa for you
- Arranging a home and school placement for you while on program
- Arranging transportation, such as airline or train, to and from your program location
- Providing support to you while you are on program
- Contacting you about post-program alumni activities
Our processing of your personal data is based upon your consent.
How Long Do We Keep Personal Data?
We keep the personal data that you share with us via American Councils: Higher Education Programs and other sources as long as necessary to provide you with our program services, and alumni and other outreach activities.
Your personal data is retained until consent is withdrawn or effective opposition to data processing is filed in cases where the legal basis for data processing is the legitimate interest of American Councils. The data processing period may be extended if the processing is necessary to establish and assert any claims or defend against them, and after that time only if and to the extent required by law.
How Can You Access and Have Control over Your Personal Data?
You can do the following at any time by using the contact information given on American Councils: Higher Education Programs or below:
- See what personal data we have about you
- Change or correct any personal data we have about you if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- Have us delete any personal data we have about you
- Express any concern you have about our use of your personal data
How to Opt Out of Future Communications from Us
For Residents of the European Economic Area (EEA)
Under Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 ("General Data Protection Regulation" or "GDPR"), each resident of the European Economic Area (EEA) whose personal data is processed by American Councils has the following rights to:
- Be informed and to request access to personal data processed by us
- Request correction or update of personal data if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- Request the deletion of personal data
- Request that we temporarily or permanently process all or part of your personal data
- Object, at any time, to the processing of personal data by us
- Request an electronic copy of personal data or to transfer it for use by third parties
- Refuse to be the subject of automatically made decisions
- Not be subject to decisions based solely on automatic decision making, including profiling, if a decision may cause legal effects for the user or have a similar effect
- Withdraw consent at any time without affecting the lawfulness of the processing carried out through consent before its withdrawal
- File a complaint to the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) if it considers that the processing of personal data violates the provisions of GDPR
How Do We Protect Personal Data?
We take precautions to protect your personal data both online and offline when it is submitted to us via American Councils: Higher Education Programs.
All information that we collect from you via American Councils: Higher Education Programs is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a lock icon in the address bar and looking for "https" at the beginning of the address of the web page. The database in which all the information you submit to us via American Councils: Higher Education Programs is stored is also encrypted for additional security.
While we use encryption to protect personal data transmitted online, we also protect your personal data offline. Only employees and business partners who need your personal data to perform a specific job, such as program staff, program recruiters, and travel administrators, are granted access to your personal data and only to your personal data that is needed to complete their jobs. Access to data stored in American Councils: Higher Education Programs and the database is subject to authentication with unique username and password. Users are only allowed to access information that relates to their areas of responsibility. The computers and servers on which we store personal data are kept in a secure environment.
American Councils' employees, third-party business partners, and others that have access to personal data are also provided with guidance in its use and protection. They will use the information exclusively for American Councils' activities and the management of American Councils' program and other operations.
Why We Transfer Personal Data Across International Borders
Have a Question? Have a Concern? Contact Us
Data Protection Contact
ATTN: Higher Education Programs
American Councils for International Education
1828 L St NW Ste 1200
Washington DC 20036-5136